Today was Logos Chili Day, but unfortunately I caught a bit of the flu or something, so I took off just before the festivities started.
But I did bring in my chili, which I made on the morning of July 4. And it turns out I came in second place! Now if I'd only been there to vote for my own chili ... maybe Eli wouldn't have won. But I'm sure his chili (called "Chilisaurus Rex") was yummy.
For Logos cook-offs, each entrant makes a sign. Mine is below, followed by the recipe.
Here's the recipe I based the Pork chile Verde on: http://pork.allrecipes.com/az/ChilVrdII.asp.
I did the following:
- 2.5 lbs pork ribs, country style, no bones.
- 2 28oz cans Tomatillos
- 11 Jalapeno peppers (note: control heat by amount of Jalapenos)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 massive walla walla sweet onion
- 3 tbsp garlic (or however much you want)
- Spices: Salt, Chili Powder, Red Pepper, "mexican seasoning", Ground Mexican oregano. Don't be bashful with these.
- Cube ribs. Trim off major fat chunks but be sure to leave some fat there.
- Pulverize Tomatillos and Cilantro in food processor (or blender, or whatever).
- Pulverize Jalapenos (including seeds!) similarly.
- Chop Onion (I used a food processor for this too).
- Brown cubed pork in Dutch Oven. Do this with the spices (don't be shy!). I browned the pork in corn oil.
- When brown, remove pork. Reserve 2 tbsp drippin's in pot, pour balance of drippin's in container with pork. Don't lose that juice, that's flavor!
- Saute chopped onion & garlic in Dutch oven (in reserved drippin's).
- Add pulverized jalapenos after a few minutes
- Add Tomatillo/cilantro mixture after a few minutes
- Add the cubed/browned pork after a few more minutes
- Simmer for half an hour
- Remove from heat, let sit in refrigerator for 3-4 days. Like Eli, I cooked on the morning of July 4 and let it sit in the fridge until I brought it in.
- Heat in crock pot on high for 2.5 hours.
- Turn heat down to low. It's ready to go!
Of course, you could probably just eat it at step 12; though I'd probably simmer 45 minutes to an hour if I was eating it the same day.