Who is rico?
“rico” is Rick Brannan. Somehow, folks at the office started calling me “Rico”, and it stuck. So there you have it. You can check out my personal web site for more info.
I work for Logos Bible Software as an Information Architect. Yeah, we made up that title. I'm what I like to call a text geek; I write programs to munge text from one format into another or even create alternate views of data or even completely different data sets. It is a hoot; it's a job I love, and I'm very lucky to be able to do it, get paid for it, and work with the great folks at Logos Bible Software.
So, why a blog? And what can you expect to see here?
I have no hard and fast rules for this blog. I do have some ideas, though. Here they are in brief.
Content Blog vs. Link Blog
The answer is: Yes. Entries will sometimes be long, thoughtful posts. Sometimes they may even be long incoherent rants. Posts may be short pointers to other articles. Or they may be all of those rolled into one. Or something else. Maybe. I dunno. But I do know that I've been keeping an internal-to-the-office blog for almost a year now and it's time to split off the non-work-related stuff into the proper environment. And this is the proper environment.
What sort of content will I post on? That's a good question. The answer: Whatever the heck interests me. The “categories” list on the side there will probably grow; and I won't make any effort to pre-fill it with things I think I'll write on. The taxonomy will be ad-hoc. That said, there are some topics you can count on coming up sooner or later:
- Christianity/Religion in general.
- Greek, primarily Koine/NT.
- NT Textual Criticism
- Pastoral Epistles (I've been studying them for awhile ... )
- Apostolic Fathers (the 'proto-orthodox' writings from, say, 80-200 AD)
- Politics (US Politics in general, election stuff, etc.)
- Economics (I have a BA in Economics from Northwestern College)
- My digital photographs when I happen to think they're especially cool.
- Reviews of books I read.
- Links to books I want to read.
- Whatever else I durn well feel like ranting on.
I'm sure you get the picture. While I do work for a prominent producer of Bible Software, I won't be posting directly on the topic of Bible Software as I just don'tthink it would be appropriate.
While I won't do such things on purpose, you may find you'll better understand cryptic references if you have some knowledge of the television show The Simpsons. I'm sure there are several other sources I draw on, but that seems to be the prominent one, even though I haven't seen a new episode for years.
Last but not Least ...
Before you read anything I write, there are two other sources you need to add to your daily/weekly reading diet:
- MarginalRevolution. This is the best blog you've never read. Set yourself up on the RSS feed. Do it now. Do not pass “Go”, do not collect $200.00.
- Victor Davis Hanson (weekly on National Review Online, typically on Friday)
That's it for now, though I'll surely be bloggin' over the weekend now that this dude is set up and ready to rock & roll. So watch out. You've been warned.